Monday, September 26, 2011

Gettin' Stronger Every Day (Day 8 of 60)

When I was in Boy Scouts, my best friend came up with a recipe for bean chowder that we would often cook on campouts. Basically, it was a thin beef chili. It was marvelous. I remember enjoying it. Especially since that time, I’ve loved bean chowders, chili and stew.

Remember that roast beef my wife made last week (the night before she made the chili)? Well, she finally used the roast beef to prepare a stew. She added in a couple of tablespoons of left over mashed potatoes as well, to thicken up the broth. She prepared the stew in a crockpot.

It smelled simply superb – all day long.

I woke up tired and continued to be tired throughout the day. The juice perks me up usually, but I’ve just been ready to go back to bed. Now that I’m in the bed writing this post, I’m fairly alert; though I could probably go to sleep if I shut my eyes very long.

For years I have often wondered if I might have too much phlegm in my respiratory system. I can’t really explain it, except that whenever I’d take a very deep breath, I’d notice a little phlegm-ish rattle or something. It hasn’t bothered me for a few days. I breathe “easier” now.

Do not misunderstand. I asked my doctors about it and was always told it was absolutely nothing to worry about. Nothing ever showed up anywhere to be concerned – blood work, CT scans, X-rays, etc. Not that I made a huge deal over it or anything, but it was just one of those things that bothered me.

It seems to have disappeared recently. Now, it could be the change of environment (coming to the Northeast from the South), but I tend to think it has to do with the juice fast.

Anyway, enough anecdotal chatter, let me lay down my meals.

Morning Apples
Empire Apples (4)
That’s right… I had straight, fresh apple juice this morning. This was great. I cannot imagine having store bought apple juice when fresh juice is ready for the making.

For lunch, I had to scrounge as the veggies and fruits are getting low. By the way, I threw out the remainder of the collards. I just could not stand the thought of drinking that juice again.
What’s 4 Lunchtime Juice
Cabbage (4 leaves)
Carrots (4)
Celery (4 stalks)
Apples (2)
Zucchini (one half large)
I think keeping away from the collards made me think this juice tasted good. I’m not sure, but it was not all that bad.

I took the oldest two to Tae Kwon Do and then came home to smell that wonderful stew simmering in the crockpot.

Fortunately for me, the wife went to Sam’s Wholesale Club while I had the boys at TKD. She got me lots of produce.
Not Stew Juice
Spinach (2 large handfuls)
Carrot (1 large)
Sweet Potato (1)
Zucchini (one half)
Apples (2)
Lime (1)
Lemon (1)
Ginger (little bit)
She got me spinach. I’ve been avoiding it because it’s very high in oxalates which are very bad for kidneys. I figure though with this diet, I should be okay – lots of water, very healthy intake.

The juice tasted very good, and the spinach did not overpower the drink. I think I can deal with that! This juice caught me off guard by its sweetness and the way all the flavors melded. I’ll definitely have to do this one again.

I drank about three liters today.

I’m ready to sack out.

Night all. Or good morning, or whatever time of day it happens to be when you read this note.

Later,
K+

No comments:

Post a Comment