Thursday, September 29, 2011

There Went the Self-Control! (Day 11 of 60)

The day became very difficult as I had doubts about the whole juice fast. Questions arose regarding protein and fats. After some research, I became fairly comfortable with the fast, except I kept questioning whether I was getting enough protein.

Finally, when I smelled Nancy warming up dinner (the neighbor’s pot roast), I snitched a sip of broth (and a tiny piece of meat and potato). It was okay, but not uber-fantastic as my mind had made me think it would be.

I talked with the wife about my “cheat”, and she suggested that I eat some nuts if I was overly concerned about the protein intake. I was and I did. I ate about one-half cup of roasted almonds. They were good, but it left me wanting more.

What she doesn’t know is that after putting the kids to bed, and finishing the dishes, I snitched a piece of that pizza she made a few nights ago and a few bites of the basil chicken pasta. They were divine.

I know. I’m a cheater.

I won’t cheat anymore today. Tomorrow, I’ll be back on the wagon and won’t cheat.

I think a big reason for the cheat was psychological. I started doubting myself and what I was doing. You really can’t play those mind games with yourself and succeed. This process is something I want to do to kick my body back into shape. The high nutrient content will actually help me lose that weight. I like Joe’s perspective (the man who made “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead”). He stated that like animals that store fat for the winter and shed it in the summer, we too do the same thing when we concentrate on a veggie/fruit diet without the fats and meats.

I’m not disgusted with myself for cheating. Perhaps I should be. Instead, I’m kind of relieved. I had a “splurge”. I don’t really want to do it again. It may mean I don’t lose any weight over night, but truthfully, I’ve been doing well on that front and if I work harder can get back into that mode.

I’m out for the night.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Your honesty is good. Keep up the good work. It's good you are researching to find out what is best for you.
    Donna Jo

    ReplyDelete